Monday, January 28, 2008

America Won't Reads


While I want to buy a new MacBook, I am seriously considering not doing so because of something Steve Jobs said at his MacWorld Expo. When asked what he thought of Amazon's book reader "Kindle," Jobs responded, “It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is; the fact is that people don’t read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year.”

Is that true? If yes, how does that compare to other countries? I guess I will still get a MacBook, but I am dismayed, not so much at Stevie (though he seems to gladly embrace that sad fact), but at America.

Sidenote: Anybody remember the America Reads program in elementary school? I got free meals at Ponderosa for reading books and I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment