Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fun with Words, Fairy edition


So I was looking up etymologies for fun. Whatever that makes me so be it. ("So be it" is a totally fun phrase btw; sounds archaic but is still used in normal conversation.) So right, etymologies--words derive from places and times I know not where or when. Let's take the word Enchant:

en·chant (ěn-chānt') tr.v. en·chant·ed, en·chant·ing, en·chants
  1. To cast a spell over; bewitch.
  2. To attract and delight; entrance. See Synonyms at charm.
Ok, Dictionary.com I'm with you. I understand and I like what you're saying. But here's where it gets shady...

[Middle English enchanten, from Old French enchanter, from Latin incantāre, to utter an incantation, cast a spell : in-, against; see en-1 + cantāre, to sing, frequentative of canere; see kan- in Indo-European roots.]

What the shit is Middle English? It sounds very Lord of the Rings. And Old French? I guess I kind of understand sort of. But what are these periods of old and new? When do they begin or end? And now I am just confused, and I find I've eaten my entire big salad like a pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment