Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Valentine's Day Dilemma

Valentine's day is two days away and TMT feels ambivalent. Readers, how do you feel about V Day? Do you celebrate, and if so, how? I don't like to pass up any opportunity to express love, however this holiday has a particular ability to really chap my ass.

My ambivalence can be summarized in one childhood m
emory seen two ways. I recall V-Day at George R. Hanaford Elementary. (Cue the Wayne's World transition)


After I had tucked all of my Garfield and Odie Valentine's Day cards into my friend's and crush's respective mailboxes (large decorated envelopes that they had taped to their desks), I sat down to excitedly open my share. A carebear one from Maggie. A Jem and the Holograms one from Cara. And what's this? "Be mine." Not signed, but clearly from a boy. Giggling and nervous euphoria ensue.


The other, conflicting memory that I have, that makes my stomach hurt even now: There were the couple of boys or girls I knew wouldn't get cards. Nobody wanted them to be theirs. No matter how many times Gordon said stupid disgusting things or James drooled when he spoke because of his braces, no matter how we felt about them every other day of the year, they deserved a card on this day and wouldn't get one. I'd like to think that I gave everyone cards every year, but I know I didn't.

4 comments:

  1. One of my teacher friends implemented an all or nothing rule in her classroom. I don't know how I feel about this either. Why should one be forced to give a love card to someone they despise. I think it's important for kids to learn rejection at an early age. It's part of life. Why not start in 2nd grade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, the dootz. you are harsher than harsh doctor. I think your teacher friend is spreading the love and I salute her/him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too had an all or nothing rule...yeah yeah, spread the love...but honestly the cards are just a waste of paper.
    I am not a fan of V-Day. Although I do appreciate the candy assortment that comes along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It says "I choo-choo-choose you." And it has a picture of a train!

    ReplyDelete